What is Pepcid prescribed for?
It is over the counter but not used to treat itches!
Hi and thank you so much of this query.
I am so sorry to hear about the itches that you have reported. Pepcid is the commercial name for Famotidine. This drug is used to treat stomach problems(gastritis) and not body itches> my thinking might be that you didn’t copy the information correctly. I will suggest you double check with your doctor on this.
In all, it is sold over the counter and present in just any drug store like CVS, Walmart, Sam’s club, etc. It is not used for itches and i would recommend you double check with your doctor before doing so.
I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Pepcid is used for angioderma.....Wheals and flares and not itches!
Hi and thank you so much for this follow up.
Our different stands represents what actually goes on in the real medical community. I am sure you must have not had slightly different opinions from your doctors on the same issue.
Pepcid is anti histamine that acts on H2 receptors. This can be associated with drugs that act on H1 receptors such as benadryl, Zyrtec, etc. when we have to deal with conditions like angioedema which is swelling of the skin. To solely prescribe this medication to control itches is something am not familiar with and would definitely not recommend. I have looked up for the possible use of this medication for itches with no convincing information and would not recommend so at this time.
If you tried it and it helps, continue with it. However, I lack enough evidence to support that fact at this time.
I hope this helps. I wish you well.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What causes enlarged heart?
- What causes spotting after having sex?
- Suggest side effects of Premarin
- Suggest treatment for recurrent urinary tract infection
- Can Wimpat,Keppra and Lamictal be taken when BP is high?
- When can orgasm be experienced after a total hystorectomy?
- Is tremination of pregnancy at after 26 weeks advisable?
- What causes swelling at the injection site?
- Suggest treatment for Angioma
- What causes chronic Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura?