Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
151 Doctors are Online

What happens when suffering from decompensated cirrhosis?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 959 Questions
My Mother-in-law is 81 diagnosed with cirohosis of the liver about 4 yrs ago and has a large distended stomach, and needs transfusions weekly as hemeglobinis usually 74-77,has had numerous coterization in her stomack(watermelon) want to know where this is leading?? What stage of chlerosis ??
Posted Sat, 22 Feb 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 34 minutes later
Brief Answer: she may have been in decompensated cirrhosis. Detailed Answer: Hi, I feel sorry for her condition. Let me explain. From your description, i get the impression that she is in decompensated cirrhosis. It is difficult to predict the immediate outcome, as you have not mentioned the treatment she received (or receiving) or the cause of cirrhosis. Frequent requirements for blood transfusions mean, blood loss through gut, which mean severe disease. If liver transplantation is possible, she can have an extended life. But her age and other issues may well hinder that option. I feel dejected to say that she may progress to end stage liver disease, with only symptomatic treatment. I wish you good luck.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What happens when suffering from decompensated cirrhosis? 48 hours later
Just had her in for another scope they say her stomach is the problem and nothing more they can do but cotterize and transfusions !! I am thinking soon will be the end for her !! Top of stomach bleeds and bottom as well !! Her age prevents transplants!! as far as we know fatty liver is the culprit !!! Just wish we had more info on what to expect !!!
Answered by Dr. Vaddadi Suresh 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Sorry and wish you all the best Detailed Answer: hi, Yes, fatty liver may turn into cirrhosis. She can only be managed with transfusions at the present. Sorry and wish you all the best.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor