What does ultrasound showing gestational sac without a fetal pole indicate?

Dr. Madhuri N Bagde

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 7 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: scan shows a gravid uterus.there is intra uterine gestation sac with ap diameter 33mm at ga 8wks 3 days.no fetal pole yet liquor volume is adequate .internal os is close .both adnexa appear free.pouch XXXXXXX is empty .no free pelvic collection sighted .no cyst.no fibrod. doctor comment early cyesis (blighted ovum. repeat scan two wks to determine viability.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

I am a consultant gynecologist and will be helping you in your queries.

If an ultrasound at 8 weeks suggests a sac without a fetal pole then there are two possibilities:
1. It is a delayed conception meaning that the pregnancy occured late and so a fetal pole is yet to develop.
2. It is a blighted ovum or a missed abortion.

In any case, the best way to rule out a blighted ovum is by getting a repeat scan after 2 weeks. If there is growth of the baby then a blighted ovum is ruled out and it is just a delayed conception.

So your doctor is correct.
Please wait for two weeks, take folic acid and progesterone tablets and then get a repeat scan after 2 weeks. If the fetal pole is still not seen then a blighted ovum will be confirmed and will need a surgical evacuation.

Do not worry, just wait.
Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist