What does this widal test report indicate?

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in Infections
Question: Helo sr,

my widal test report is as follows
1/40 1/80 1/160 1/320
TO + + + -
TH + + + -
AH - - - -
BH - - - -
After 3 days again a widal test is done and report shows O and H +ve 1/320.

And typhidot test is non reactive.

PLEASE HELP ME TO READ THIS
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Serologic tests for typhoid fever

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.
Your Widal test shows that there is two-fold rise in titre in both TO & TH from 1/160 to 1/320 indicating positive serological test for Typhoid fever.Repeated after 1 week instead of 3 days probably would have shown 4-fold rise in titre
The Widal test is generally considered positive if TO antigen titer is more than 1:160 in an active infection.
Your typhidot test [which detects IgM and IgG antibodies against the outer membrane protein (OMP) of the Salmonella typhi] is negative.

Both Widal test and typhidot test have lower positive predictive values than blood culture.Both tests lack sensitivity and specificity.

The definitive diagnosis of enteric fever requires positive culture of S. typhi from blood, bone marrow, other sterile sites XXXXXXX spots, stool, or intestinal secretions.

Hence in this case a clinician has to judge and come to a reasonable conclusion as the patent's condition dictates. I mean if there is no other cause for false positive Widal test like concomitant malaria,one can start standard antibiotic therapy for typhoid fever.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 3 hours later
So, we should go for some other test??
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tests for Typhoid fever

Detailed Answer:

Yes,Blood culture and Stool cultures ( if you are in the third week
of infection/fever),before staring any antibiotic therapy..

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 2 hours later
Are you talking about CBC..??

Cbc report also available with me....
What parameter should be checked in that??
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Complete blood count (CBC) in suspected Typhoid fever

Detailed Answer:
CBC or complete blood count will not establish the diagnosis of typhoid fever.

Other than a positive culture, no specific laboratory test is diagnostic for Typhoid fever.
If CBC shows leukopenia and neutropenia (occurs in 15–25% of cases), it will only be supportive. However you can post your CBC for perusal.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 2 days later
I have uploaded my complete cbc report. Kindly help me to read it along with my above reports.
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Your CBC report shows mild anemia (HB 11.6G%).
Total WBC count is within range but it is low normal i.e.4,400/c mm.
Total WBC < 4000/c mm is termed as leucopenia.
Your neutrophil percentage is also low normal 49% (reference range 40-80 %) and absolute neutrophil count is 2160/c mm (reference range 2000-7000/ c mm).

That means your CBC report is more towards leucopenia and neutropenia ,though not copy book picture.

In clinical practice this CBC picture along with rising titre of TO & TH would be enough to make a diagnosis of typhoid fever and treat the patient accordingly.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Follow up: Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 12 minutes later
Whether there is chance of typhoid or not?
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Typhoid fever

Detailed Answer:

Yes,considering your widal test report and corroborative CBC report ,you have a chance of typhoid fever.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX