What does this ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. Mukund Savaskar

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 9 Nov 2015 in Lump
Question: I am a 50 year old woman. 4 weeks ago I began having a dull pain and pressure on my left side to the middle of my abdomen under the rib cage. I had a US abdomen complete ultrasound and the finds were a complicated septated cyst in left lower right lobe of liver measuring 5.3cm x 3.9cx x 2.7 cm in diameter that was not seen on my prior ultrasound 5 years ago. Also a complicated cyst along the dorsal aspect of the right lobe measuring 2.5 x 3.0 cm in diameter. A small hypoechoic area seen along the inferior margin to the left lobe of the liver measuring 1.1 x0.7 nonspecific. Also a hemangioma that I have had for several years that has increased in size by 0.7 cm. My doctor has ordered a ct scan which I have not had yet. My concern is the larger complicated septated cyst and what it could potentially be and if there is cause for concern. Could any of these findings be cancerous. I do not have a history of any types of cancer.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Dull abdominal Pain with Multiple Liver Septated Cysts/ Under Investigation

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans-Dull abdominal Pain with Multiple Liver Septated Cysts/ Under Investigation

Hi,Welcome for your query to HCM.
I studied your query and reviewed with your attached report.I understood your concern for the Liver lump on US study with complicated septated cyst.
I would like to know more information about-
a-What are the complaints for which you got this Liver-US done?
b-Please give me the brief on how the abdominal complaints progressed over a time and how long,before you did US study.
c-Your doctor is right in advising CT study to get more detailed study of these Liver Septated Cysts,because there are many reasons for such a cyst.

-Suggestions to Reduce Anxiety for multiple Septated Liver Cyst-
Till the time you update more information on the complaints for which you got this US done and
Till the time You get CT done, its very difficult to comment on Cancerous Cause of these Liver Cysts.
CT guided FNAC biopsy would be needed to confirm the Cancerous nature of these Multiple Liver Cysts

Advise in your case-
Don't worry for the cancerous risk,which seems to be less,as you don't have any family history and
As you seem to have this US study done for dull abdominal pain with Diarrhea,as I got from your US study, attached report.

Hence Don't worry till the time investigation with your doctors study is complete.
Please update me above information, to be studied and reviewed in next session.

Welcome for any further query in this regard.
Waiting for more information as above.
Good Day!!

Dr.Savaskar, XXXXXXX Surgical Specialist
M.S.Genl-CVTS

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Mukund Savaskar 22 minutes later
4 1/2 weeks ago I suddenly became sick with yellow pale greasy diahrrea and abdominal pain also weakness, difficulty standing without feeling like I might pass out, i thought it may be food poisoning, so I waited three weeks and then set up appt, with my general practitioner who ordered the ultrasound, the ultrasound was done about 1 week ago, I am waiting for ct appt. To be set. The diaherra has continued until now with pressure on left to middle of lower ribcage. I will update when I get the ct. This was a sudden occurance that started 4 1/2 weeks ago, I am a small framed person normally weighing 105 lbs, I have lost there pounds. 102 lbs now, can keep good on my stomach without it passing through quickly. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Mukund Savaskar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Multiple Liver Cysts with Diarrhea,left abdominal pain/Under Investigations

Detailed Answer:
Brief Ans-Multiple Liver Cysts with Diarrhea,left abdominal pain/Under Investigations

HI,Dear,Thanks for the updates.
Based on the updates I stand by my suggestions given to you in my last reply.

-Impression-
In My Opinion -Chances of Benign Multiple Cysts seem to be more in your case
?Hydatid Cyst from Entameba Histolytica? or Chronic Liver Amoebic Abscesses.
But CT study and evaluation for Cancer presence by CT/US guided FNAC Biopsys of the Liver Cysts
A check with Gastro-enterologist / CT study and FNAC biopsy of the Liver Cysts are needed in time to come.
Get treatment of the diarrhea from your doctors,which You might be taking already, hope so.

Please Keep Me updated after those investigations.

I appreciate your thanks for the last reply.
Don't worry, I would help you till you get relieved of this anxiety.
So Don't worry till investigations on above line are completed.

Will appreciate You,to write excellent feedback comments about this experience,to help needy patient visitors like YOU,at HCM services.

Good Day!!

M.S.Genl-CVTS