What does this ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. Deepti Verma

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Doctor , at 12 week ultrasound there was noted a small subchorionic bleed at the lower edge of the gestational sac measuring 3x0.6x3cm. 1cm larger than at a 10wk ultrasound. It also says there is a small hypoechoic area along the interior esge of the developing placenta. What is this and should I be worried? Please help.
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bleeding or spotting

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, I have gone through your question and understand your concerns.
Subchorionic bleed increasing in size can lead to spotting and bleeding.
The hypoechoic along the interior edge of placenta is likely to be the collected blood.
I will suggest you to restrict your physical activity, avoid intercourse and take progesterone and hCG injection to support the pregnancy.
It can lead to bleeding, hence you need to be cautious.
Hope you found the answer helpful. Please do get back for further queries.
Dr Deepti Verma
Follow up: Dr. Deepti Verma 4 hours later
Thank you very much for answering my question. At this time I do not habe any external bleeding but am concerned about the though slight, increase in the internal bleeding. Can this be harmful to my developing baby and if so in what potential ways? Is it likely the bleeding would subside? And what are the causes of this?
Answered by Dr. Deepti Verma 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed answer below

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear, the subchorionic haemorrhage or bleeding is the bleeding in the fetal membranes. It sometimes weakens the support of hormones( which sustain pregnancy) to fetus , and can rarely lead to abortion or intrauterine growth restriction in fetus, later in pregnancy.That is why progesterone hormone and hCG hormone injections are advised.
However, most of the time, the subchorionic haemorrhage resolves with time, with no adverse effect on the fetus.
The subchorionic haemorrhage occurs, as I mentioned earlier, due to bleeding in the fetal membranes, and can be due to trauma, excessive exertion or idiopathic( no cause found).
You can get back to me for further queries later by asking a direct question to me on the health care magic portal.
Dr Deepti Verma