What does this troponin level of 0.05 indicate?

Posted on Fri, 19 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi. i recently had bloodwork done for my afib. my question is the troponin l level. They said all was fine but the lab range was 0.00-0.04. my result was <.05. what does that mean? why wouldnt it have an exact number like .01 or 0.00? . Should i be worried?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
These are normal, undetectable levels of troponin

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for your question on HCM! I understand your concern.

These values of troponin are normal. I would like to explain that every lab has its own range values based on the kits used for the analysis. The result <0.05 means that these are very low values, undetectable from the lab. The sign "<" is often used by the labs to report very low levels, non detectable by the machines.

So there is nothing to worry about!

As far as you do not have typical chest pain symptomatology, suggestive ECG and normal troponin levels, there is no concern about any possible coronary artery disease.

Hope to have been of help!

Feel free to ask any other questions whenever you need!

Greetings! Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist