What does this thyroid test report indicate?

Dr. Pradeep Kumar

Pediatrician, Cardiology

Posted on Sat, 14 Apr 2018 in Child Health
Question: My 2month baby girl thyroid report says- suggesting thyronormalcy

total t3=189
total t4 =9
TSH=3.25

Please suggest what does report say
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It is normal for age

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform

The thyroid function test is absolutely normal for this age. The TSH value of 1-6 with T3 level less than 200 and T4 between 7-16 is normal in babies from 1-12 month.
So you need not to worry for that.

I shall be glad to help further if you need any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Pradeep Kumar 10 minutes later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX

Actually my baby is facing constipation. she is not having her motion everyday and she is uncomfortable while passing . So we went to doctor he suggested the thyroid test.

For passing stool he prescribed- Lactulose Solution USP, EVICT

After this syrup she is passing stool everyday.

Please suggest
Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hold lactulose and observe for stool pattern

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for follow up

Passing stool once in 3-4 days or 7-8 times in a day is normal in this age.
I won't get worried if baby is otherwise active, taking feeds well, there is no vomiting, abdominal distension or stool is not very hard/mixed with blood(due to injury by hard stool).
Thyroid function test should be routinely done in all the babies as apart from cause of constipation, it is the commonest treatable cause of mental retardation.
As baby is passing stool now, I would like to hold the syrup and suggest you to observe for the pattern of stool. Long term use of lactulose should be avoided unless the symptoms are significant.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj