What does this thyroid function report indicate?

Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: hello
My latest Thyroid report is like this : T3 - 172 ng/dl ; //T4 - 16 ug/dl ; and TSH 0.93 uIU/ml. The report also carries a comment : IF NOT ON DRUGS SUGGESTED FT3 & FT4 ESTIMATION.

My age is 27yrs.I am not taking anytype of drug

Can pls let me what does it means and what i need to do to improve it.

thanks looking forward to hear from you
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
The free sections of the hormones needs to be measured

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone through the mentioned details. The report indicates an excess of thyroid hormones. However, the measurement is for total sections of these molecules. What concerns us really is the thyroid hormones available free in the blood and hence measurement of free T3 or FT3 and free T4 or FT4 has been suggested.

If confirmed by FT3 and FT4, the results might indicate hyperthyroidism and based on that certain medicines might need to be prescribed. Home remedies are not likely to help.

Let me know if I could help further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 48 hours later
hello sir

thank u for replying.
i Didn't get what should i do. i have to retest of T3 and T4 or is it some kind of test FT3 and FT4.

according to ur answer might be i have a problem of hyperthyroidism.
sir can you please described it.

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hyperthyroidism is characterized by excess thyroid hormone production

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

Hyperthyroidism is a condition where thyroid hormones are produced in excess. If that is detected to be the case you would need certain medicines to neutralize the effect of these hormones.

Follow up: Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 25 minutes later
hello Sir
so have i test FT3 and FT4 test again ?
What do u mean by FT3 and FT4?
then will be confirm i have a problem of Hyperthyroidism ?

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
FT3 and FT4 will confirm if you have hyperthyroidism.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks again for writing back.
As I have already mentioned, there is a bound and free portion of the hormone. The free section of this hormone repreents the active form and hence rise in FT3 and FT4 wil indicate whether hyperthyroidism is present.