What does this test report of adrenal gland indicate?

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hi Doctor,Post pregnancy i have been having high blood pressure and was detected with high blood sugar in the 3rd month of the pregnancy.Intially it was told i h ad preclampsia but later they are had a dbt if its due to some othe issue.Recently there was an CT scan taken and a 9 mm adernal adenoma was found.Adlestrone was normal.But Cortisol test was not done by Lab.I am not feeling very good for a while inspite my blood sugar and pressure is in control.Please suggest

INDICATION: Adrenal adenoma, hypertension and elevated aldosterone

COMPARISON: None available

TECHNIQUE: Initial unenhanced images acquired through the adrenal glands.
Following the administration of 100 cc of Omnipaque intravenous contrast, porta
venous and delayed 10 minute CT images acquired through the adrenal glands.

My CT scan repot
REPORT: 9 mm area of slightly rounded nodularity inferiorly along the medial
limb of the left adrenal gland. Unenhanced density of 15-20 Hounsfield units.
Porta venous phase density of 120 Hounsfield units. 10 minute washout density of
66 Hounsfield units. No CT criteria are met to confirm that this represents an
adrenal adenoma, with a borderline washout at just less than 50% at 10 minutes.
Other visualized solid organs and viscera of the upper abdomen are unremarkable.
Lung bases and bones unremarkable.
Component Standard Range Your Value Flag
RENIN 0.25 - 5.82 ng/mL/h 0.10 L
Aldosterone PRA Ratio 0.9 - 28.9 Ratio 10.0
Aldosterone 1
Note
Adult Reference Ranges for Aldosterone,
LC/MS/MS:
Upright 8:00-10:00 am < or = 28 ng/dL
Upright 4:00-6:00 pm < or = 21 ng/dL
Supine 8:00-10:00 am 3-16 ng/dL
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Adrenal

Detailed Answer:
2 tests would help us determine whether this adrenal nodule is secreting excess catecholamines and cortisol.

The first is a non fasting blood sample for plasma free metanephrines.

The second is a midnight salivary cortisol.

These are just screening tests. This means that they are not 100% accurate but if they are positive then confirmatory testing is necessary.

The CT characteristics are notable. You would be best served by an endocrinologist who will examine you in person and assess the need for further testing. It is important to control your blood glucoses and pressure, regardless