What does this cardiac ultrasound report indicate?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: you think this tension that I feel in the neck and the neck is because of this regurgitation ?? I feel discomfort on the left side of the heart. insomnia. dry throat at night. the cardiologist said that is nothing I can worry about.

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I carefully passed through your cardiac ultrasound report and would explain that is shows a normal heart.

The minimal (traces) of mitral regurgitation are not related to your symptoms. It is has no clinical significance.

For this reason, I recommend performing further tests to investigate for the possible cause of your troubles:

- a cervico-thoracic spine X ray study to exclude chronic backbone degenerations
- thyroid hormone levels for possible thyroid dysfunction (which would explain the chest discomfort, dry mouth and insomnia)
- a chest X ray study
- some other blood lab tests (complete blood count for anemia, blood electrolytes for possible imbalance, kidney and liver function tests, fasting glucose, inflammation tests).

If all the above tests result normal, you should consider anxiety as the main cause of your symptoms. In such case, you should consult with a specialist of this field.

A lot of physical activity (recreational sports, walking, aerobics, etc.) can be helpful in this situation.

I would also recommend avoiding caffeine intake.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Feel free to ask any other questions whenever you need!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 6 minutes later
I did the complete blood test. It includes all up to the hiv. the results all normal. Tuesday I will do x ray and thyroid ultrasoun
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Well, as your tests (including thyroid hormones) have resulted normal, you have nothing to worry about.

Anxiety seems to play an important role in all this clinical scenario.

I recommend trying taking Xanax (alprazolam) 0.25mg during these episodes.

If your symptoms are relieved by Xanax, you should consult with a specialist of anxiety to help you manage anxiety.

Certainly, the X ray study should be done to exclude other possible chronic backbone degenerations, which could cause the chest and neck pain.

Hope to have been helpful!

Best wishes,

Dr. Iliri