What does this brain MRI report indicate?

Posted on Mon, 10 Aug 2015 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hello,

I'm currently paying for my mum to have dementia tests due to strange behavioral changes and memory problems, a previous CT scan showed a subcortical atrophy and I've just received the results of her MRI:

MRI Brain

Ax T2W/FLAIR, Sag T1W, Cor T2W and DWI sequences were obtained.
There is no cerebral / cerebellar lesion. There is no white matter lesions to suggest significant small vessel ischaemic change.
The ventricles and extra-axial CSF spaces appear normal and there is no diffusion abnormality. The major intracranial arteries and dural venous sinuses return a normal flow related signal void.
There is generalised involution which is in excess for that expected for age. There is no lobar predilection and in particular, there is no excessive hippocampal volume loss.
Conclusion: There is generalised involution (in excess) which no lobar predilection - non-specific pattern. There are no features to suggest small vessel ischaemic change.

Can anyone clarify what this means?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Findings suggests age related cerebral cortical atrophy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Your MRI(Brain)findings suggests age related cerebral cortical atrophy.This is expected finding in every person with aging.
With age advancement there is shrinkage and loss of brain parenchyma which allows gyri and sulci to become prominent.
Atrophy is generalized in your case.
Findings need clinical correlation.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist