What does the semen analysis results indicate?

Infertility Specialist
Question

I have just had my semen results back. I am 31 year old, living in the UK. I have a reasonably good lifestyle, not smoking very much (maybe 1 cigar a week) and not drinking in excess and taking no recreational drugs. I am overweight (16 stone - 6 foot 4 but muscular build).

I have had my semen analysis results back - the results are below. I had a quick chat with the GP and we will go to a fertility clinic but I would like to know how good/bad this is and what our chances of conception are. My wife is 27 and has no known issues. I have googled the WHO benchmarks etc, I'm just keen to know how bad this situation is ie is it very unlikely that I will be able to conceive (ie no hope, some hope with IVF etc), what steps if any I can take to improve this situation.
Volume of ejaculate – 2.8ml
Viscosity 4
Sperm Concentration (10^6ml) – 6
% Motility – 20
Progression – 2-1
% Normal forms – 1
Head piece defects - 90%
Mid piece defects – 10%
Tail defects – 0%
Immature forms – 0
Leucocytes (10^6ml) – 0.1

Diagnosis - oligoasthenoteratozoospermic

Thanks
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Infertility Problem

Answered by Dr. Nandita Thakkar 46 hours later
Brief Answer:
discussion on the report

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Welcome to HCM
Thank for writing to us.

The reports diagnosed as oligoasthenoteratospermic - means lower than normal a)sperm count,
b) sperm motility
c) sperm structure abnormality

However with a single report the diagnosis is never made. At least 2 reports are required to confirm this finding. So, get your semen analysis done again.

If the values are low again then the treatment options can be discussed
There is a chance that you and your wife can plan and have a baby - as you both are young. Age is favourable in your case.

Hope to have answered your query

Dr Nandita Thakkar

.