Ask a Urologist   »  

What does my urinalysis report indicate?

Question
Had a urinalysis done Friday. WBC present, mucus present, bacteria none, leucocytes 6-10. Culture was then done and came back 10,000-50,000 cfu/ml e coli. I haven't heard back from the Dr but rather saw this in my patient portal. Does this require antibiotics and if so, why hasn't the Dr responded. Also can Candida Albicans cause under the radar UTIs?
Mon, 21 May 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. Prof. Kunal Saha 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Does not need to be treated with antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through your query and understand your concerns. Our urine contains bacteria even in normal condition. Unless the colony count is more than 1,00,000 per cu.mm it does not need treatment with antibiotics. Therefore, you do not need to be treated with antibiotics. However, certain clinical presentations can still mandate treatment with antibiotics.

Candida albicans can cause UTI but that does not mean that its presence in urine would mean that you have UTI.

Let me know if I could help further.