What does the following chest X ray report indicate?
I recently had a chest xray for a cracked rib and the results noted some emphysema changes to lungs.
The Dr told me I had emphysema and I had to stop smoking. I had my last cigarette the next day (cold turkey) and I haven't touched a smoke for a week. I have no desire to smoke at all now. I am 55, fit and have no other health problems. I find getting information about my life expectancy very confusing, of course I would like some idea I still have a dependant child and a mortgage!
Can you offer any information
First get done PFT for confirmation of disease.
Thanks for your question on HCM.
I can understand your situation and problem.
Emphysema is classified as chronic obstructive Pulmonary disease (COPD).
Smoking is the biggest risk factor for it.
It is functional disease of lung.
So for the diagnosis of emphysema PFT (Pulmonary Function Test) is must.
It will also tell you about severity of the disease.
And treatment of emphysema is based on severity only.
Since you are smoker, possibility of functional limitation is high.
So first get done PFT. If PFT is normal then only smoking cessation is required.
But if PFT show obstructive defect then along with smoking cessation, inhaled bronchodilators are needed.
And prognosis is good with smoking cessation and inhaled bronchodilators.
And prognosis also depends on severity of disease.
So get done PFT first.
Hope I have solved your query.
I will be happy to help you further.
Wish you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Done with chest x-ray what does the report says
- What does these chest x ray result indicate
- Indications for chest x ray
- Have had chest x-ray what does it indicate
- What does my chest x-ray report suggest
- Had chest x-ray is the report normal
- Had chest x-ray what are the findings in the report
- What is the meaning for the x-ray report of chest
- What is the meaning of the following chest x-ray results
- Done chest x-ray what doe the report indicate
- Suggest treatment for COPD
- What causes chronic cough?
- Suggest treatment for interstitial lung disease
- Suggest treatment for bronchiectasis
- Suggest treatment for anxiety and sleeping problems
- What causes dizziness after eating red meat?
- How to avoid insomnia caused by Albuterol taken for COPD treatment?
- What causes prolonged fever?
- Suggest treatment for clogged ears and inflamation in sinus passage
- What causes white foamy sputum when suffering from COPD?