What does the following MRI report of the neck and brain indicate?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I had an MRI done per your instructions of the Neck and Brain w/contrast in Mexico last week.
The only abnormal findings were
A right posterolateral bulging disc is seen contacting the spinal cord at C6-C7, and C7-T1. The intervertebral disc intensity and height is viewed as normal for both.
Your thoughts regarding my headaches and in particular when I sneeze?
XXXX
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Benign. Treatment needed only if frequent.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again and thank you for keeping us updated.

I was the one who recommended to have a brain MRI. I see that you've had a neck MRI as well. Now those findings shouldn't have anything to do with that type of headache you describe. They do prompt for some attention regarding degenerative neck changes which are common with age. Physical therapy exercises are recommended to strengthen neck muscles and prevent further progression of such changes with spinal cord compression.

As for your headaches as I said in my previous consult most of the times such headache related to sneezing or coughing are benign, called primary cough headaches. MRI was recommended to exclude potential brain tumors or malformations which could be the cause in up to 40% of the cases. Fortunately they were not evidenced by MRI.
Often they do not warrant any treatment as they are short-lasting and regress spontaneously before medications starts to act. If frequent enough to affect your quality of life then the most used preventive treatment is with Indomethacin, 50 mg taken 3 times a day for about 6 months.

Let me know if I can further assist you.