What does the cholesterol levels indicate?

Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Cholesterol
Question: I am 38 years old male. my total cholesterol is 126, hdl is 31, ldl is 80, triglyceride is 72 and vldl is 14. Today my BP is 120/70. plz tell me how much risk are there. plz tell me what i have to do now?
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No risk

Detailed Answer:

I have gone through your query
Total cholesterol 126: Normal
HDL(Good cholesterol) 31:Slightly decreased
LDL(bad cholesterol) 80:Normal
Triglceride 72 : Normal
VLDL 14 : Normal
Your Blood pressure 120/70 absolutely normal.

All your test results are absolutely normal except slight decreased HDL(It should be >40 for men) which is not worrisome.
I appreciate that your are maintaining good health.
All you need to do maintain same levels and increase your HDL level by with some lifestyle changes.
Here I am giving some suggestion:
Eat polyunsaturated contains food like fish ,nuts which increase HDL
Avoid smoking if you does.
Restrict alcohol if you consume.
Eat healthy vegetables and fruits.
Regular physical exercise for 30 minutes a day is most important,it will increase your HDL levels.

You need not to worry.

Hope I have answered your query.
If you have any queries I will be happy to help you.
If you do not have any queries you can close the discussion and rate the answer if possible.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 56 minutes later
Please tell me the name of XXXXXXX fish, vegetables and fruits which will increase HDL. Is there any medicine to increase HDL?
Answered by Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for follow up query

You need not take any medicine to increase HDL as I told earlier it is not worrisome.It can increase naturally with diet changes.
Eat fish like salmon fish, tuna fish ,sardines,mackerel.
Eat oat meal which increases HDL.
Eat nuts like almonds,peanuts,walnuts,cashew nuts.
Add olive oil to your food.

You can eat all vegetables especially carrots,cabbage,cauliflower eggplant,broccoli and fruits like apples,banana and other fruits.

Eat 2 pieces of raw or cooked garlic.

Do regular physical exercise.

Hope I have answered your query.
Thank you.