What does this blood report indicate?

Excellent

Question
I have high triglycerides (360 mg/dl). Also Vitamin D3 is less 7.5 ng/ml. Let me know if I need to use any medicine. Attached the blood report.

Thanks,
XXXX
Fri, 11 May 2018 in Internal Doctor Category

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Supplements for vitamin D

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Regarding high triglyceride levels it is recommended that lifestyle management should be started. It includes diet that is low in fatty foods (cheese, butter, ghee, icecreams, pastries, cookies, etc) and high in fruits and salad. Regular exercise of 30 min a day that can include gym, walk, yoga, swimming, cycling, etc. Weight loss must be encouraged if BMI is more than 25. Lifestyle must be continued and lipid profile re-assessed in 3-6 months.

If triglyceride levels are unaffected or higher or another cardiovascular condition (like blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, etc) are present, then medicine can be started.

Vitamin D supplements can be started as follows:
Vitamin D 60,000 IU once weekly for 1 month. Many good brands available like Calcirol XXXXXXX Calcikind XXXXXXX etc.
Then continue vitamin D 1000 IU twice a week for 2 month.

Hope it helps. Let e know if I can assist you further.
Dr Vaishalee

Follow-up: What does this blood report indicate? 19 minutes later
Dr.,

Thank you. I have few more questions. I have been doing walking for 30 min everyday from past 3 months but still no improvement in triglyceride level. Can I see for 6 more months with a good diet and exercise? Any problem if triglyceride level will not come down during these 6 months even after diet and exercise? Can triglycerides be high because of genetic reasons? I do not have BP or Diabetes.

Thanks,
XXXX

Answered by Dr. Vaishalee Punj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can adopt lifestyle measures

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

Fatty diet is a very important factor for triglycerides. Therefore try the diet and exercise for 3-6 months period and re-test.

No problems if it doesnt come down in 6 months. LDL is the bad cholesterol, which is normal in your case. It is good that you do not have BP or diabetes.

There are three genetic conditions in which triglyceride maybe raised. But these conditions are less common. In genetic conditions, lipid lowering medicine (fibrate) is initiated when triglyceride levels cross value of 500.

More common is fatty diet, sedentary lifestyle. Lipid profile should be taken after 8 hr fasting to get accurate results.

Dr Vaishalee