What does the PET scan report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Cancer
Question: There is mild increase in the FDG uptake extending along the right maxilla, SUV 5.1 compared to prior SUV 3.3.
No evidence of hypermetabolic lymphadenopathy identified within the head and neck.

The above is an excerpt from my latest PET scan. Is it serious or what
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is cell activity in right cheek and you require review of treatment

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. The recent PET scan shows increased cellular activity in the region of right cheek.

2. When compared with earlier scan there is quantitative increase from 3.3 to 5.1 SUV units.

3. The cut off between benign and malignant lesion/nodule is in the SUV range of 2.0-2.5. Your report findings suggest that the cells in right cheek are utilizing more glucose which happens due to cell multiplication and growth and this requires a review of your condition and treatment to be provided.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Dr.Vivek
Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist