What does potassium level of 6.1 indicate?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Kidney Conditions
Question: My kidney function test result indicate potassium level of 6.1. What does it indicate. Further my doctor asked me to take K 'Behind powder three times for two days and there after after five days to get the test repeat. My serum Creatinine and blood urea is 1.15 and32.3 mg/DL respectively. What does it indicate?I am 70 years in age and 5ft 7 inches in height. R. K XXXXXXX 0000 from IndiaFuthersodium is 130, phosphorus 3.57 ,total proteins 8.04, serum albumin 4.37 and globulin 3.67
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer.....chances of wrong result are very high,so it must be repeated.
Detailed answer...
I have read your query and understand your concern.
A rise in blood potassium level is generally found in kidney failures although other reasons like blood pressure medications and certain diseases can also cause high potassium levels,but since your other parameters of kidney function tests are normal,this report looks to be wrong.
Practically such situation does arise in day to day practice and happens because of spoiling or Hemolysis of collected blood sample.In such a situation  blood cells get damaged which results in release of their potassium in the blood which results in high level of potassium in blood.
I feel the same case is with you.
Kindly get your potassium checked again and most likely it would come as normal.
Carry on with the instruction of your doctor to use K Bind as advised.
In case it is high,you would need to be examined and investigated for it's cause.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 23 hours later
Dear Dr XXXXXXX

Thanks for your prompt reply. I am on BP medication for last 35 years. So, as per your reply, this can be one possible reason for increase in potassium level.

I will get the test done again and revert back to you.

Thanks for your advice and support.

XXXX. XXXXXXX

Mob: XXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 26 minutes later
Not all BP medications result in elevated levels of potassium levels in blood,however best is to get your potassium levels rechecked after a gap of few days.
I feel it would come out normal.
Best of luck
Thanks