• question-icon

Suggest medication for G6PD deficiency in a new born

Posted on Tue, 26 Sep 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hi doctor, I have new born baby boy. Now the age of my baby boy is 12 days only. Before discharge from hospital doctor inform us that my baby boy is having "G6PD deficiency" In this regards - i want your guidance. Please suggest which medicine will keep in my house in our daily life & which safe for G6PD deficiency - " Fever, Stomach pain, Loose motion, Cough & cold, Multi Vitamin for body growth " Please help. Also request you guide for G6PD treatement.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 30 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on G6PD deficiency

Detailed Answer:
Hi... I understand your concern.

There is no specific treatment for G6PD deficiency. The best way to avoid hemolysis is to avoid the drugs which can cause hemolysis are red blood cells to lyse.

Coming to the aspect of day to day drugs -

For cold - you should not use any anti allergic medication till the baby is at least 3 to 6 months old. After that for cold you can use Cetrizine at 0.25mg/kg/dose every 12 hourly for 3 days.

For fever - all the medications which are used for fever are contraindicated in G6PD deficiency.

For nasal block, plain saline nasal drops will do, every 4-6th hourly to relive nasal congestion.

For diarrhoea you can use zinc supplements after 3 months of age at least. ORS can be used as replacement fluid therapy.

For vomiting you can use ondansetron after consulting your pediatrician.

No need to use multivitamins for an exclusively breastfed baby. You can use Vitamin D supplements at the dose of 400 IU per day daily.

There is no safe and effective medicine for stomach pain for a G6PD deficient baby.

All the about drugs except saline nasal drops are prescription drugs and you will need a doctor's prescription for this.

I wish your kid a bright future. If you need any future medical consultation and suggestions, I will be glad to help. You can approach me at the following link.

Once the page opens there will be an option below my image as – ASK ME A QUESTION – click on it.

In this way even in health care magic you can follow up always with a single doctor who knows the history of your kid completely. Please find the link below -

www.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-sumanth-amperayani/67696

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology