What does my thyroid test report indicate?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: I am a male of 62 Yrs. .Though I had been taking Thyronorm 12.5mcg for more than 6 months . My T.C.H(3rd Gen) is8.15 uIU/ml . whereas ADULT range is .27- 4.2uIU/mL.
kindly suggest appropriate dose of Thyronorm in my case

XXXXX
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer....increase the dose of THYRONORM 
Detailed answer....
I have read your query and understand  your concern.
Your TSH is still high and this means that the dose of THYRONORM ( 12.5 mcg ) you are taking is inadequate.
You can increase the dose to 25 mcg and get the TSH repeated after 6 weeks.
If it becomes normal,then you continue the dose of 25 mcg but if it is still high then dose can be further increased till your TSH becomes normal.Try to attain the TSH level to around 2.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 7 hours later
I have seen your suggestion for increasing the dose of Thyronorm from12.5mcg to25mcg. In this regard, I would say that I missed, in my earlier query to you, to mention my weight and hight which are 82 kg and 5ft .10 inch respectively.
In this case also, will the dose of Thyronorm remain the same i.e 25mcg per day
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 12 hours later
In fact there is no fixed formula to dose your THYRONORM requirement.
It is basically a hit and trial method.
The dose should be increased to 25 mcg and then see the value of TSH after 6 weeks.
The dose is still further increased if TSH doesn't come to normal levels.
If it becomes normal,then that dose becomes your daily dose.
Thanks