What does my semen analysis test report indicate?

Dr. Khushboo Priya

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Tue, 28 Mar 2017 in Infertility Problem
Question: I have attached my husband seman analysis report. we are planning for baby from last 1 yr..
As per report Motility is 40% and viscosity is more( liquefaction time >1hr)

How to improve sperm motility and decrease viscosity
Now he started having pumpkin seed, sunflower seed .. Even planning to take aswagandha powder to improve sperm quality.. is it OK to take
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your husband should take antioxidants and antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:

I think your husband should do a semen culture and sensitivity testing. It can show if any infection is there. He can take the required antibiotics. If culture is normal, then Also he can take doxycycline for 10 days empirically. He should also take some antioxidants for 3 months to improve motility. If he smokes or takes alcohol, tell him to stop it. The liquefaction time is high. So, get a repeat semen analysis done after 1 month of antioxidants.

If there is no improvement, you may need to undergo IUI. In IUI, motility and count is improved a lot and liquefaction is not a problem. He can take pumpkin seed , sunflower seed and ashwagandha also.

You can tell him to take flaxseed powder and sugarcane juice also.

Hope I have answered your question. feel free to ask further.
Dr Khushboo

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Khushboo Priya 2 hours later
Thanks for reply
I have few concerns/doubts
For semen culture and sensitivity do I need to look for good fertility centre???
I'm consulting gynecologists but not from fertility centre... This month I'm on 2nd cycle of siphene... Now I'm worried thinking whether to look for doctors from good fertility centre or continue with treating doctor since treating doctor dint tell to do HSG test for tube...Doctor suggested Zoamates XXXXXXX for my husband but with that he got severe constipation so he stopped, now he is taking antioxidant tablets... do I need to consult good fertility doctor for my husband and myself
Answered by Dr. Khushboo Priya 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult a good fertility centre.

Detailed Answer:
Hi xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I think you should consult a good fertility center for your treatment. Do the semen culture at a good pathology laboratory. I think your doctor might have thought of trying few cycles of siphene and timed intercourse.

For that HSG is not needed. She might have told you about it if the treatment had not worked. But anyways, there are chances that you may require IUI. So, it is better to get it done at a good fertility center.

Hope I have answered your question.

Dr XXXXXXX