What does my nuclear thyroid test report indicate?

Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I had a nucleur thryroid done and cannot understand the results nonfunctioning area upper pole of the right gland consistent with a non functioning adenoma 4 hour uptake normal 14.4% 24 hour uptake elevated 40.1% i have been off my synthroid for thirty days to prepare for ultrasound imaging imaging of the thyroid gland demonstrated no focal abnormalities. there is a photopenic area involving much of the righr upper thyroid gland. believe this corresponds to an approximately 4.5x3 cm mass in right thyroid gland this lesion biopsied 3 years ago negative this most likely reflects a nonfunctioning adenoma history f negative biopsy right lobe measures 4.x4cm x3.0cm x3.8 cm and is diffffusely heterogeneous echotexture. it contains a 1 cm cyst centrally
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Right lobe mass

Detailed Answer:
Good day,

Noted your question. From the description, i gather that you have a right thyroid 4.5 x 3 cm mass in utrasound and the corresponding nuclear scan showed no uptake in that area which could mean a non functioning adenoma ( cold nodule).

I also gather that, you had a biospy from this nodule 3 years ago which was negative for cancer. Thyroid lobe has diffuse echoteture in ultrasound which probably indicate thyroiditis ( likely hashimoto's thyroditis).

The inference what an endocrinologist get from these two scans is that, you have a 4.5 x 3 cm cold nodule ( mass) in right lobe which need a biopsy if the size or character has changed ever since the last scan was done. If the character or size hasn't changed since last ultrasound scan, not to worry, but it need follow up.

It is a bit complex and i am more than happy to explain further if you need more clarification.

Binu