What does my lab test report indicate?

Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Infections
Question: My medical report is as below:

Salmonelia typhi O (TO) : Reactive 1:160
Salmonelia typhi H (TH) : Reactive 1:80
Salmonelia paratyphi A, H (AH) : Non Reactive
Salmonelia paratyphi B, H (BH): Non Reactive

I am a female of 19 years, height 5'1", Weight 45 kg.

Pl advise the findings of the test and the medication & precautions required.
Answered by Dr. Tushar Kanti Biswas 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Typhoid fever -diagnosis and treatment.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query. I can understand your concerns.
Your Widal test is positive for typhoid fever.
The Widal test is considered positive if TO antigen titer is more than 1:160 in an active infection.
However rising titre as opposed to single titre has more predictive value and rules out false positivity.
The most confirmative test of the Typhoid fever is positive culture (either blood,urine or bone marrow aspirate) of S. Typhi.
Percentage of positive culture yield (the sensitivity of blood culture
is only 40–80%), is however low due to prior administration of antibiotic.

In view of this it is justified that you have been started on antibiotic therapy Trulimax (Azithromycin ) -standard dose 500mg BD orally on day 1 and then 500 mg orally daily for 6 days, for typhoid fever.
You should take semisolid diet (Indian kichri for example) till you recover and avoid non-vegetarian foods.

Dr. T.K. Biswas M.D. XXXXXXX

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D