What does my MRI scan test result indicate?

Dr. Vivek Chail

Radiologist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Back Pain
Question: The L5-S1 disk is normal in height and hydration. 2mm broad based annular bulge largely affects the ventral epidermal fat.No ligament um flavor pathology. No central canal,lateral recess or for am in all stenosis.
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please try conservative pain management options for few months

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing in to us.

I have read through your query in detail.
Please find my observations below.

1. Sorry to hear about your pain and wish you a quick recovery.

2. Being a radiologist I come across many patients who have problems similar to yours and they usually get relief after being treated by physiotherapy, medicines and injections.

3. In your MRI scan lumbar spine there is a slight disc bulge at L 5 - S 1 level. This is not causing any pinching of nerves. It is also not causing any spinal canal narrowing. Therefore this finding might not be the cause of any discomfort or pain which you are having.

4. It is important to discuss that many people have a pain even if there is no obvious nerve root pinching on MRI scan of lower back. This occurs due to pinching of the nerves along their course and might not be obvious on MRI scan. This requires detailed neurological examination to suspect and I hope your neurologist will address this.

5. If possible then please upload the entire DVD containing your MRI images and send me the download link. Alternatively you can upload a copy of your report so that I can understand your situation accurately and discuss in detail. Many of my patients send DVD pictures through file sharing facility. I request you to please upload the entire DVD to a file sharing facility like Dropbox or google drive and send me the download link. I will see your pictures on my work station.

Hope your query is answered.
Please do write back if you have any doubts.

Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 9 minutes later
This is very discouraging because I have extremely bad pain sitting on my tailbone, I have numbness and tingling all on my right side. My foot,hand,shoulder, and I will upload the results I have been in pain so long
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Your pain in lower back is understandable and requires attentionz

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

1. It truly agree to what you have written and I do get patients who have a nearlynormal spine but have severe pain in the tail bone and lower back.

2. Wish I could see your MRI scan images myself to have a detailed look of your tail bone and therefore I requested you to send me your images.

3. There are certain areas where nerves can get pinched and which are not clear on the MRI scan. Such causes of pain require careful clinical attention and treatment.

Looking forward to read through your results.

Hope your query is answered.

Follow up: Dr. Vivek Chail 20 minutes later
I uploaded what they gave me from all 3 mri
Answered by Dr. Vivek Chail 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have neck muscle spasm and suspected empty sella

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back with an update.

1. Your brain MRI shows features of an enlarged and nearly empty sella. This is not a serious problem but can be causing headache and fatigue in some people.

2. The cervical spine shows neck muscle spasm which is seen as straightening.

3. The lumbar spine MRI scan is the same as seen in 2010. Therefore no recent abnormalities are noticed.

Hope your query is answered.