What does my MRI scan test report indicate?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi Dotor

I just found out from my Gp's office what the report of the mri said.
The mri came back inconclusive but they found white matter around the brain and the conclusion was that it might have been due to an migraines. I have not had a migraine in since the mid 90's and the type of migraine was like an aura it lasted for about 20 minutes then went away and I developed a headache after that.
I have also had head trauma around 2001 do you think that is what the white matter could have been that and is all white matter considered ms.
Should the guy that reads the mri be able to tell the difference in the white matter from margarines due to ms and that due to other things.
Still very concerned ,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload MRI images and provide more detailed history

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX
I have gone through your queries and MRI report and understand your concerns.
Brain is made of grey and white matter. With progressive age there may be changes in white matter.
Other causes may be hypertension, diabetes, vasculitis, stroke, demyelinating lesions like multiple sclerosis , vitamin deficiency(Vit B12).
The location of white matter changes are also helpful in making diagnosis.
Are you having any diabetes, hypertension, previous stroke, vitamin B12 levels?
Trauma may also lead to some white matter changes called as gliosis .
Migraine has also associated some white matter changes.
I will advice you to upload MRI images for better analysis.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr Neeraj Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj