• question-icon

What does low blood sugar level after eating indicate?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: my blood sugars are 3.7 about 3 hours after eating is this considered low i am non diabetic as far as i know i have been feeling like am going to faint the last 2 weeks i have had an ecg/bloods/blood pressure checked all normal i did faint during bloodtest which has never happened me before am on 160mg proponolol for essential tremor i do always get thirsty and overheat could this be a sign of diabetes or would it have showed up on a blood test
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
3.7 is slighlty low blood sugar but it will require more tests to rule out.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

I have read your query and understand the concern.

3.7 mmol/L blood sugar is slightly low as compared to normal but we will NOT be able to say from just one blood sugar reading whether is is a sign of diabetes or not.

As you have symptoms of thirst and overheat I would like to go for further evaluation by fasting (FBS) and postprandial blood sugar (PPBS-2hours after meal),urine tests for sugar with glucose tolerance test (GGT) if blood and urine sugar tests remains inconclusive.

Also let me know,which blood tests you have done so far apart from blood sugar and if possible then please share with me.

So,at present it is difficult to tell the underlying cause of your fainting or to rule out diabetes from just once blood sugar reading.

Hope this helps and get back to me with more reports.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 2 days later
i was seen by gp today who sent me for another ecg which was ok and has reffered me to a cardiologist for a 24hour heart monitor as there is heart disease and PoTS in my immediate family she also requested for an urgent blood test of a different type this time, is there a different type of blood test if its related to your heart i thought a blood test was just a standard test
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes,there are specific blood tests available for heart evaluation.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again,

I have read your query.

24 hour holter monitoring can be helpful to assess heart condition further if you have family history heart disease or POTS.

And yes there are specific blood tests available for heart evaluation like homocysteine level,C-reactive protein,blood lipids and cardiac enzymes.

Also let me know about the specific blood test, advised by your doctor if you aware of it.

2D-echocardiography of heart will also be helpful apart from blood tests,ECG and holter monitoring. You may discuss this with your cardiologist.

And please feel free to ask me if you want more clarifications.

Dr.Sandip Kabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Dr. Sandip Kabra