Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
147 Doctors are Online
Ask a Urologist   »  

What does it mean if X-ray result say that I have pelvic calcifications?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 243 Questions
Feel like i have kidney infection under my right rib in my back for 2 mnths now. Dr did xray..results say, multiple rounded calific densities with lucent centers in pelvis, a small punctate clification in hemipelvis. Have ct scans today, but what could this mean?
Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 12 minutes later

I hope that I would have satisfied your queries by the end of this session.

It is very rare to have such a long term infection without other signs and symptoms like fever, blood in urine, pus cells in urine etc.

Also what I can decipher from your X-ray is that you may have CALCULI IN PELVIS OF KIDNEY and possibly in distal URINARY SYSTEM, that is multiple stones in bladder & ureter.

But your CT Scan report can point to a specific cause and location. Let me know its report.

Waiting for your CT scan report in follow-up.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What does it mean if X-ray result say that I have pelvic calcifications? 1 hour later
If its been 2 mnths, will they pass on their own or will it require surgery?
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 3 hours later

Welcome back to XXXXXXX

Urinary bladder stones (as I suspect) may lie around without causing symptoms / damage. Rarely they will pass out on their own. Since the volume of bladder is quite high most often the stones are asymptomatic needing treatment if they are associated with infection.

They usually do not require surgery to get them removed. Medical treatment such as use of antibiotics is advised if there are symptoms of infection.

Kindly post your CT scan report at the earliest.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Urologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor