What does increased ALT level indicate?

Dr. Indu Kumar

Radiologist

Posted on Sat, 23 Aug 2014 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: had blood work done five years ago and had an ALT of 80 and AST of 12 everything else normal. Had blood work done again this month and the ALT was 79 and AST 40. I have had an ultrasound and Ct scan with contrast and XXXXXXX The doctors say that it is fatty liver. Could this be NASH? I have changed my diet and already lost 20 pounds this month. Pretty scared this could be serious.. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 24 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Probably you are suffering from XXXXXXX

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing to HCM

Increased ALT indicates liver injury.Increase in ALT may be due to many reasons like hepatitis,alcohol intake,altered lipid profile,medicines,auto immune causes etc.
It may be due to XXXXXXX
In your case increased ALT may due to altered lipid profile because you also have fatty liver.

It is a very common disease among young adults due to changing life style.

Most commonly it is due to obesity and sedentary life.It is good that you have changed your diet and loose your weight.This is very essential for your health.

You need few other investigations like routine hemogram,Random blood sugar(RBS),Liver function test(LFT),Lipid profile,Renal function test(RFT).

Fatty liver is a reversible condition and it can be reversed by diet and life style changes.
You may need some medicines after full investigations.
It may take 3-4 months to reverse the findings.

You should be active in your daily life.
You should avoid red meat and high fat milk products.
Cook food in olive or canola oil.
You should take limited salt in your diet.You should also avoid fried and junk food.
Take lot of fruits and vegetables.You should also increase your physical activity in the form of walking and exercise.
You can also do meditation and yoga.It will help you a lot.
Don't take stress.You will be fine.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 8 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. If it had progressed to cirrhosis would it of been seen with the ultra sound or ct with contrast and dye?
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 19 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please find detail answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing back

Don't worry about cirrhosis.Fatty liver is a reversible condition and it doesn't progress further if it is intervened on time.

You can go for elastography of liver.It shows elasticity of liver and its propensity to develop to cirrhosis.

Get well soon.
Hope I have answered your question.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Ashwin Bhandari
Follow up: Dr. Indu Kumar 3 hours later
Thank you Doctor! Have a good day, and your time was appreciated! I will acceptand give positive reviews.
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for your comments.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX
Thanks for writing back

Thanks for your comments.

Get well soon.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care
Dr.Indu XXXXXXX