• question-icon

Is ALT level of 185 normal?

Posted on Thu, 7 Jul 2016 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: i have crone disease and taking Drescol and my blood test shows ALT 185 . my dr thinks i have liver problem . do not drink or any drugs . what is the medicine that i should be taking. i am 39 years old
thanks
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You need more testing!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this high ALT. This points to something wrong in the liver but doesn't say what the exact problem is. We can only treat a well identified disease condition. For this reason, i will recommend that you carry out a complete liver evaluation to identify what the cause of this increased ALT is. It could be an infection, it could be facts, it could be an autoimmune reaction, etc. Therefore, what we need is that investigations should be carried out to establish the exact issue and address fully. Treating an abnormal test will be the wrong thing to do now. Talk to your doctor about this discussion and report back to me on his way forward. Best doctor to see for liver care is a hepatologist/gastroenterologist.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be. Above all, thanks for using our services.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah