What does high CPK levels with exhaustion and uncontrolled eye movement indicate?

Dr. Alokkalyani

Rheumatologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Aug 2014 in Brain and Spine
Question: have health problems but, for a long x told Doctors' I go through spells of exhaustion hard to explain very weak etc. I am on Disability my voice was not heard blood test came back ok. I w/o do daily 4 wks ago went with teenage son to trainer harder w/o but, no excessive. Next day left arm not moving, left eye half open no control. first x eye, not with limbs. neurologist ordered many test. finally ordered level CPK which came bk
2543. had test to in office found muscle inflammation/damage . schedule for muscle biopsy. had another blood test no meds taken. new CPK normal 4 wks later but, confused symptoms I have had almost exactly similar to Polymyosostis. If doc. is correct will confirm biopsy why difference in CPK level>
I have all test and results with me do not know how to scan them in and/or upload
Answered by Dr. Alokkalyani 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
rare chance of polymyositis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query

I am Dr. Alok and very pleased to be assisting you with your health questions today.

I do not think that you have Polymyositis, as it is a slow progressive disease, which initially involve pelvic muscle and have difficulty in sitting or standing or climbing stairs or lift hands over head. it never involve eye muscles.
May be you have high CK value due to excessive exercise or any viral infection or may be due to any drugs. Now if CK is normal -- means you do not have Polymyositis.
It is confirmed by EMG test or by biopsy. Other blood test which are suggestive are - SGOT, SGPT and aldolase

Hope this helps and provides answers to your question.
If you have any further queries, please don’t hesitate to ask me again
I wish you good health, take care
--Dr. Alok

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju