What does "fullness in the kidney" mean?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in General Health
Question: Just today I had a routine CT scan (I had pancreatic cancer and had neoadjuvent chemo in 2012 and Whipple procedure in 2013 and was cured) and it showed "fullness in the kidney". My oncologist is on vacation and the NP who is authorized to read the scan (in my oncologist's absence) said she did not know the definition of fullness in the kidney. She was going to forward the scan to the surgeon to review and I probably will not hear anything back until tomorrow. Any intelligence you can provide relating to the terminology "fullness in the kidney" would be appreciated.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
hi and welcome

Detailed Answer:
This is phrase usually used in sonographic description of kidney caliceal system but also it can be mentioned in ct scan report. It means that part of kidney that collects urine is enlarged and filled with urine so kidney become enlarged and full of "water". It can be seen in healthy people if there is slower flow of urine or excessive hydration and mostly it isnt indication something worrying. But in some cases it can be sign of ureter or pelviceal duct obstruction that leads to hydronephrosis. It can be caused by cysts, inflammation and tumors including metastases. Since you had serious malignant disease,tumor should always be on mind,but pancreatic cancer dont have tendency to recur on kidneys so i dont think that you should worry at this point. Just have frequent ultrasound check ups and do urine analysis.