What does excessive sleepiness in a diabetic person suggest?
Should monitor his blood sugar levels...
I understand your concerns.
You are reporting that your brother :
- is a type 2 diabetic: what medications he is taking and at what dosage?
- has started recently to fall into a deep sleep each time he sits down or lies down. Does his wife tell if he has a strange smell from his mouth? Did they check his blood sugar level at the moment he falls asleep? If yes, is it low or high? If not, try to talk to his wife to check his blood sugar at the moment she awakens him.
To my opinion, he might suffer of extreme oscillations in blood sugar at the time he sits down (too low or too high levels). Perhaps, he might need correction of dosage of his actual medications.
For the moment, I advise to:
- keep him well hydrated
- monitor his blood sugar levels (bsl) and record the results
- encourage to have his meal regularly
- encourage to be more physically active (e.g. walking around for more longer) although his age
- discuss with his doctor to check his liver/kidney function in order to exclude related problems
Hope it was of help!
My brother is on a pump and monitors his blood sugar religiously. He has an endrocrinologist who also monitors periodically. We were wondering if there might be any heart or lung issues.
Check in your e-mail for the answer;further diagnostic tests advised...
Hi back my dear,
If I was his caring doctor would check his vitals first including:
- blood sugar levels
- blood pressure
- liver/kidney/pancreas function test
- ECG/echocardiogram to monitor his heart
After that, we can analyze and discuss his actual problems. Without such tests, and with no physical examination, we cannot assume anything.
All the best!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What medications cause excessive sleepiness
- Zoloft and excessive sleepiness
- Treatment for depression fatigue excessive sleepiness
- Excessive sleepiness and sweating
- Excessive sleepiness during pregnancy
- Excessive sleepiness during my period
- Causes of excessive sleepiness newborn
- Excessive sleepiness newborn
- What causes excessive sleepiness and breathing difficulty
- Excessive sleepiness neonate