What does aversion to food in a child indicate?

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology

Posted on Sat, 1 Apr 2017 in Child Health
Question: Hello Dr
My daughter (22months) is not eating any food except milk. What to do to resolve this?
Is there any effect on her growth due to this?

XXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions on not eating solid food and excess milk

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.
I take this opportunity to tell you certain scientific facts and relieve your distress -
1. An active is a well kid even if she/ he is not eating well.

2. Development of a kid is as important as or I would say even more important than growth alone.

3. As the kids grow their interest in food decreases and interest in play activities increases so that they eat small quantity and run away to play. As parents we need to be more patient and feed than less quantity but more aliquots per day.

4. This age rather than the quantity of the food I suggest you concentrate more on the number of times you feed her and also make whatever you feed her calorie dense by adding good amount of ghee to it.

5. I suggest you not to use appetite stimulants on long run as they may cause drowsiness.

Coming to the issue of excess milk intake - predominant milk diet can cause - iron deficiency anemia, constipation and decreased weight gain.

The only way you can decrease this habit and start giving solid food is by patient introduction of all food gradually.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth
Follow up: Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 6 minutes later
Thanks for reply!!!
I need more clarification on your point no 4 (specially good amount of ghee).
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
I suggested to add ghee to make the food energy dense

Detailed Answer:
Hi.... regarding point number 4, what I suggested was....even though you give less quantity of food, you can make it more productive for the baby, by making it more energy dense by adding ghee to it.

Add 1-3ml of ghee to every bowl of food you mix for the baby. Add this in accordance with the palatability of the baby.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth