What does an indentation in the nail bed indicate?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Sat, 25 Mar 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: What is significance of dent in thumb nail..it was not injured..I've been fi,I guess it down to even out nail bed..
But I think I read once could be of medical significance?
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
If it's in one nail it's usually due to local causes

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to health care magic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible.

First of all, it is true that nail structure and looks have many clinical relavances and you are quite right about probing the same when you noticed anything unusual.

Usually in systemic diseases all nails get equally effected if it's bulging out nails like in clubbing or spoon shaped nail or discoloration of nails or any such related signs menifests itself as part of some other disease process but usually a single nail involvement or bulge is usually due to local causes like some old trauma or underlying cartilage or skin eruption or even some mass under the skin so it's better to get it reviewed by your primary physician and if it's painless or bulge is significant then need for biopsy may be considered and if it's painful or causes irritation local causes like underlying fungal or bacterial infection can ne isolated and to be treated with antifungal or antibiotics respectively.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D