What does an RFNL level of 86.34 in left eye indicate?

Dr. N. K. Misra

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hi - at a recent eye check my average RFNL for the right eye was 97.31 and for the left eye was 86.34. The pressure in the left eye was around 19. The doctor mentioned that it could be suspect glaucoma and recommended I did the field test as well to get a baseline score.
Could you advise if the left eye RFNL score indicates possible glaucoma? I was under the impression that an average RFNL of 80 was ok . How long does it take for glaucoma to progress to loss of vision ?
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glaucoma suspect

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Thanks for sending your query to HCM.
A retina nerve fibre index from 0to 30 is normal,30 to 70 is borderline and 70 onward is glaucoma.You have mentioned pressure of left eye only.In any case a field test is mandatory in your case ,both for diagnosis and follow-up.Get field charting and gonioscopy to achieve full glaucoma workup .In a alert person like you,proper management of glaucoma is always achievable,and there is no loss of vision.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. N. K. Misra 5 hours later
Your index mentions that above 70 is glaucoma suspect however my RFNL for the right eye was considered normal (green) at 97.6 and the RFNL for the left eye at 86 was bordering on the yellow. Your RFNL index parameters seems inverse - could you check and me know? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. N. K. Misra 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glaucoma suspect

Detailed Answer:
My dear,
Good of you to get back to me.
There are various parameters,one is nerve fibre thickness inn microns in various quadrants..I was talking about was the index and RFNL you are mentioning is considered OK beyond 70% where you already are bey80%.Bordering on yellow should just keep you on your toes.Here role of perimeter is very important.
Colour coding is to be seen in totality.As I said earlier,a total glaucoma workup needs iop,gonioscopyand perimetery as well.
Another aspect we have to note that different machineshave slightly different standards and one figure may not exactly match the figure from other machine.
You are OK,just need to have perimetery and see if the findings match.
Do get back to me in case of any further query in this regard.