• question-icon

Is an eye transplant possible for a child having retinopathy of prematurity?

Is an eye transplant possible for a child who has retinopathy of prematurity, once the child is full grown and reached adulthood? My son, has a completely detattached retina in the right (so that eye is blind) and his vision in his left eye is in tact and he has 20/80 vision in that eye. He is turning 13 and has asked me this question and I wasn t sure.
Fri, 30 Mar 2018
Pediatrician, Neonatology 's  Response

No, eye transplant is not possible.

In blindness, only cornea is transplanted. In retinopathy of prematurity, available treatment modalities are laser treatment, anti-veg injection.

If retina is detached completely, then surgery is the available treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Sachin Kumar Agarwal