What causes light flashes on the peripheral vision of the right eye?

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: last night I began to have aflash of light on my peripheral vision on the right side...very intermittent but when I closed my eyes to sleep there was nothing, Upon arising, I have had a few more do I need to call the eye doctor?
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
yes

Detailed Answer:
Please see your eye doctor as soon as possible, today would be best. Sometimes flashes like that can be a sign of a detached retina. This can be serious. You need to be seen by your eye doctor for an exam as soon as possible to make sure that your retina is okay.
Don't delay, see your doctor today.
Dr. Robinson