• question-icon

What causes uncontrollable tremors in the hands and face, tinnitus and visual hallucinations?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: What would cause uncontrolled trembling in arms hands and face,pop in neck causing loud ringing in ears v vision?
hallucination in peripheral vision?
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is no single disease process or illness to explain all symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear you having such problems.

There is not one easily recognizable disease process or pathology that specifically links ALL of those symptoms to a diagnosis without knowing a bit more of your history (i.e. how you were prior to these symptoms coming on).

There is an entity called STEROID PSYCHOSIS that exists but this is usually seen in patients taking steroid medications for a prolonged period of time. Some of those symptoms could involve the development of psychotic like symptoms such as visual hallucinations as well as tremulousness in some cases.

However, injections in the neck which are fairly low dose, specific to the location where they are deposited (i.e. they do not cross the blood brain barrier) and are only done intermittently as opposed to everyday.

In your case if this is something that suddenly came on and then, got better or went away my first reaction is to find out whether you had just undergone a period of stressful or anxious times where you may have demonstrated uncontrollable trembling, possible symptoms of a migraine like headache, which could produce as well, hallucinations in your peripheral vision (i.e. some people can see pops of light or see things flash in their periphery like bugs or insects).

If that's not true and the symptoms are remaining steady then, I would consider doing some blood work and checking things such as thyroid and adrenal functioning since those hormones can cause some of the symptoms you are referring to if their levels are either too high or even too low. Another thing that explains some of the symptoms such as trembling would be low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) as would occur if you didn't eat your meals as regularly as you should and were either hungry or thirsty.

If your symptoms do not abate or if you develop anything such as severe headache, nausea, vomiting, LOSS or REDUCTION of hearing on one side compared to the other then, I would move to get an immediate appointment to see doctor and perhaps look to get an imaging study of the brain such as MRI, MRA, or at least CT scan though under the circumstances I wouldn't be surprised if those studies were to come out negative.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 29 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist