Can flash photography cause damage to a newborn's vision?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Ophthalmologist

Posted on Tue, 22 May 2018 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Hello doctor,

My wife and I just had our first child on Wednesday 12/13/17, he’s only 4 days old. My wife was holding him on the couch and my son was looking at my wife in a way where I wanted To catch the moment by taking a photo with my iPhone 7. I took my cell phone and attempted to take a picture at close range approximately 1-2 feet away from his face. THere was very low light in the room that we were in so as I took picture the automatic flash went off. My son immediately saw flash, closed his eyes and turned away. I’m worried that the flash so close to his face could damage his very delicate eyes. Is he going to be ok? Do I have anything to worry about? My baby boy has very light blue colored eyes. Hope my baby is ok. I’m a first time father and I’m stressing about this very badly. Hopefully his vision was effected.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
A newborn baby's eyes are not that delicate yet it may frighten him.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks fir query.
Once in a while you can take the photo with flash.
Its not goibg to cause any damage to his eyes as such but doing this frequently may frighten your infant again and again.
So as of now its ok.
but in future use camera in proper lights.
Try to avoid sudden flashes directly on baby.
Thank!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Ramesh Kumar 23 minutes later
So now damage to his retina could of been done? I read a story about a baby who lost her vision due to a flash in china. One eye was completely blinded and the other had irreversible damage. That story I saw on internet is what made me concerned. So you think my child is fine, and I should not worry 100%?
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
A single flash from a XXXXXXX camera cant do so.Sir how do you know that retina of child in china was fully normal before that single flash or there was no ongoing disease in tha child.
Most of the reporters are nonscience students and print things without proper back ground research.
If an i phone could make a kid blind with single flashApple is too careful to add a warning with that.
Rest assure net is full of sham articles.
Mo one can take 100% gaurantee.I am a cardiac patient myself and am fully helathy and functional but i can’t take my gaurantee that things would be same till tomorrow.
Dont wirrykid is good.
Just look into his eyes smaile make some noise if he responds he can see you.

Take care!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana