What does absence of menstrual bleeding after taking I-pill indicate?

Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: Hi
I am 43.5 years old and my partner is 44.5 years old. Yesterday we had unprotected sex for the first time and I ejaculated while we were penetrated. We did so because yesterday her period was meant to commence. So it should have been the first day of her cycle. Normally she is perfectly regular on her period dates and her period tallies month on month. Immediately after ejaculation, within an hour, she took an I-pill (for prevention of pregnancy). A day later we realized that the expiry mentioned on the packet was Dec, 2016 while she had it on 3rd Feb morning. Today is the 6th and she has still not had her periods. She has abnormal 28 day cycle. She is a mother of one daughter who is 17 years old. Though I have read that probability is quite less for pregnancy for 45 years and thereabouts and viable eggs are normally not there on the first day of due period and I-pill works well if taken within 72 hours and typically manufacturers have some grace period for product efficacy after expiry for medicines, I am extremely worried. While we wait, would you be able to advise as to whether we are negligible risk and the delay could be caused by the hormonal changes effected by the medicine or we should be significantly concerned and plan on next steps. Thanks and best regards
Answered by Dr. Vjollce Mbiarra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chances are almost zero

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for your query to Healthcare magic.

I have read your question carefully and understand your concern.

Chances to be pregnant are almost zero because :

1. you have had intercourse after the fertile days ( it means that ovulation have finished )
2.she have took I-pill( it is with decreases effectiveness while the expiry date was on December )
3. chances to conceive decreases with increasing age

Delay periods may be caused by the use of I-pill because it contain a consideration dosage of hormones and it cause body hormonal imbalance .
And the most common side effect of I-pill use is delay or early periods .

To have peace of mind you can wait and four more days and take a urine pregnancy test at home,because they are effective 10 -12 days after unprotected intercourse.

Hope I was helpful and please feel free for any other doubts .

Best regards

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad