What does a white knot on tongue indicate?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2018
Feb 2018
Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I have a white 'knot' thingy on my tongue. Hard to explain. It's small but annoying. Had it for at least a few months
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Biopsy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
The hard knot on the tongue at the age of 47 years and being present for a few months needs to be investigated.
Most probable diagnosis is a granuloma, which is a benign condition, rare tumors like spindle cell tumors do present, but they usually regress on their own.

The best solution to such problems is excision and send it for histo-pathological examination. By this one achieves 2 things. First : the disease is out of the body and Secondly one gets a definite diagnosis whether this is benign or malignant.
Additional MRI of the tongue and neck helps for further evaluation: if normal the stress is gone, if abnormal, it helps to plan the further management.

Follow-up: What does a white knot on tongue indicate? 3 hours later
What type of Dr would you go to for this? Primary Care, dentist, dermatologist or maybe oral surgeon? Thank you, again.

Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral Surgeon / ENT Surgeon / Surgical Oncologist

Detailed Answer:
For this the best one would be an oncologist- Surgical one.
If not available you may please visit any of the Oral Surgeons/ ENT Surgeon or even General Surgeons ( if you have them named like this in your country)

Most welcome.

Follow-up: What does a white knot on tongue indicate? 0 minute later
And to re explain the white thingy, it's more like a round , loose skin tag on top of my tongue. Not a knot in the tongue. Does it still sound like the same thing you said earlier? Thank you