What does a spot in a mammogram indicate?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Thu, 6 Nov 2014 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: Hi Doctor:

One year ago my mammogram revealed a spot. They called me back did numerous more mammograms/spot compression and ultrasound and got rid of the spot. Told me to come back in one year. I just went for a routine mammogram a week ago and they want me to come back for more views due to microcalifications? Not sure what this means. Does this mean cancer? Your help in this is much appreciated. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

No, this does not mean that you have a cancer. Microcalcifications can indicate an early cancer or benign lesion. Depending of the area of microcalcificaiton the observation and next mammogram should be done after a year or after a half a year.
They have called you because thy want to make sure this is not a breast cancer. Another mammogram or/and ultrasound will be done. If any tumor will be found, biopsy should be performed.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.
Follow up: Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 7 minutes later
Could this be a result of the spot they found a year ago? I am so nervous cause my aunt had breast cancer and don't know about my mom she doesnt go for mammograms/
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 3 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Well, this might be the symptom of "the spot" which was previously detected.
Hereditary breast cancer usually occurs in young age (before 45). As you are 60 and no breast cancer yet, you may assume that either you are free of genetic tendency or your aunt cancer was not associated with genetic problems.
I suggest you to consult genetics with this problem. BRCA1/2 genes tests should be considered.