What does a red bump in groin area indicate?

Excellent

Dermatologist
Question
Male, 25, 5'11 250lbs. Small red lump, on upper thigh groin area appeared 4 days ago. Originally looked like a pimple or ingrown hair. Has gotten larger and redness has spread slightly to surrounding area. Became increasingly painful over the past two days. Tonight it swelled to the size of a large pea and a majority of it has turned purple/black. No visible head. In the last two hours pain has begun radiating outward from lump, mostly down my left leg. No recent trauma to area, same sexual partner for two years. Lump is half inch long give or take. What is this thing?
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
could be a simple boil or a bubo

Detailed Answer:
From the description it seems either it could be bacterial infection of hair follicle( furuncle/boil) or a bubo( infected lymph node). A bubo is a manifestation of a sexually transmitted infection - lymphogranuloma venereum.
In both of these cases, the pain can radiate to surrounding areas and leg.
As you have same sexual partner, chances of STD are probably less.
Right now I would advise,
Warm water compresses,twice in a day
Oral antibiotic like cefixime twice in a day
Oral analgesic like ibuprofen twice in a day
Apply a topical antibiotic cream twice in a day.

If in case no relief is seen in two to three days, the pain or the size of lesion increases or the lesion rupture, meet a doctor nearby
Also, if you could send me a pic of affected area, I would be in much better position to clarify further
Hope this helped.

Follow-up: What does a red bump in groin area indicate? 9 hours later
Hi, I have provided some attachments. Please review them.

Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
details below

Detailed Answer:
The pic attached is not of very clear resolution as it has been captured too closely to appreciate its size, surface and site.. However from what I could see, it looks like it could rupture anytime.
As a bubo is an infected and inflammed lymph node, the swelling is usually a size of golf ball. So based on size, boil seems to be a probable diagnosis.
You may follow the suggestions, I mentioned in my previous post. However visiting a doctor near by for proper clinical assessment and prescription of antibiotics would be a better choice.