What does a huge mass behind the leg indicate?

Excellent

General Surgeon
Question
I have a huge mass behind my leg that goes up my thigh with a red lesion next to it.
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

Can you please attach a photo of it so I can give precise answer?
This can be a varicose vein with blood clot, sebaceous cyst which has gotten infected, Bakers cyst, hematoma (if there was any injury).
Vein thrombosis gives a hardness and pain in the area of its location. Calf can get painful and swollen.
Sebaceus cyst is a kind of benign lesion which gives a painless lump. Such lump can grow slowly for many year. When gets infected, pain and redness appears.
Both conditions should be consulted by a surgeon.

If this mass is located behind the knee, Bakers cyst is possible. In such case you should consult orthopedist.

This is the best I can tell without being able to see it.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: What does a huge mass behind the leg indicate? 3 minutes later
the lump is painless

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
As its behind the knee , Backers cyst is most probable. Red lesion seems to be not associated with it.
Please have soft tissues ultrasound to confirm it. If this will be confirmed, you should see orthopedist.

Regards.

Follow-up: What does a huge mass behind the leg indicate? 1 minute later
thank you I also have been experiencing night sweats and my groin lymph node is swollen.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
If the groin lymph nodes are only on the same side as the lump is, that's the reason of its enlargement. However if lymph nodes are enlarged on both sides, some hematologic problem might be the reason.
Night sweats can indicate an infection.
This symptoms should force you to have an ultrasound if this mass. Please also have groin ultrasound to see the lymph nodes. Please also try to palpate other areas (armpits, under jaw, neck, around collar bones) and see if there is no lymph nodes there.

Regards.