Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
140 Doctors are Online

What does a circular patch on face indicate?

Jan 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 7327 Questions
I have a circular patch on my face. Beard doesn't grow in that area. Please suggest me the treatment.
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Skin Rash
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Alopecia areata

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your query and I have understood it.

I would keep a possibility of Alopecia areata. It is an autoimmune condition and commonly present as focal patches of hair loss, most commonly over the scalp but also on the beard, moustache or eyebrows or eyelashes. This is the most common type. Other types are alopecia totalis and alopecia universalis. In Alopecia totalis is when hair loss involves the entire scalp whereas in Alopecia universalis hair loss involves the entire body hair.

In Focal/patchy type of Alopecia Areata, in most cases, hair regrow spontaneously within 1 year (as it happened first time round with you, 5 years ago). But people often seek treatment because the bald patches are unsightly and are easily noticeable to others.

Various treatment options in Focal type of alopecia areata in order of the choice of treatment:

--Intra-lesional Triamcinolone acetonide is first line treatment in adults followed by other modalities like:
--Topical potent steroids
--Topical Minoxidil
--Topical Anthranalin
--Topical PUVA(psoralens +UVA therapy).

All of them are effective. However I prefer Intra-lesional steroid in my patients of Alopecia areata. It can be repeated after 3 -4 weeks and usually hair regrow after 2 injections, given 3 weeks apart.

I would suggest that you seek an appointment with a dermatologist in your vicinity.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor