Owl Image

What does "Sub cortical deformity and fibrovascular reaction" in an MRI mean?

Owl Image
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Question
Mri feet results Sub cortical deformity and fibrovascular reaction in site of prior fracture
Degeneration 1st map joints and sesamoids
Persistent marrow edema?
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 minutes later
Depending on the fracture duration, it indicates, a prior fracture with healing. Joints of the first toe is showing signs of degeneration. At this age, abnormal position while walking or abnormal shoes, any malposition could be causing the joint of first toe degeneration. you might develop severe joint pain soon there.

Follow-up: What does "Sub cortical deformity and fibrovascular reaction" in an MRI mean? 8 minutes later
Is it treatable? Attached is MRI? What is subcortical deformity?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
All these are treatable.

Detailed Answer:
The fibro vascular reaction at the site of prior fracture is likely to be due to an inflammation at the site. This usually subsides after taking anti inflammatory medicines and hot fomentation. The degenerative changes are due to repeated trauma, improper posture, etc. and the further progression can be retarded with regular physiotherapy sessions.
The subcortical deformity is also a degenerative change below the bone cortex and is not worrisome. It alone does not cause any significant pain or harm to the foot.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: What does "Sub cortical deformity and fibrovascular reaction" in an MRI mean? 1 minute later
What about the chronic inflammation in my right foot?

Brief Answer:
related to plantar fasciitis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The chronic inflammation in the right foot can be related to plantar fasciitis. Using orthotics, regular massage and anti inflammatory medicines will help. In case the inflammation is persistent then local steroid shots are considered.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: What does "Sub cortical deformity and fibrovascular reaction" in an MRI mean? 5 minutes later
I dont have heel pain it is all in top of foot? How long for recovery? Any special footwear you recommend? I have been using a bone stimulator twice a day would you continue?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Detaile below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
The pain at the top of the foot will also improve with proper anti inflammatory medicines. The recovery usually takes 3-4 weeks. A footwear with a soft sole and a good arch support is recommended.
Bone stimulator helps in bone healing. If the fracture site shows the signs of healing on X-ray then you can discontinue its use.
Regards.

Follow-up: What does "Sub cortical deformity and fibrovascular reaction" in an MRI mean? 13 hours later
Thank you so much. So my dr said I have metatarsalgia and I started anti-inflammatory yesterday she prescribed. I also started physiotherapy yesterday and he did myofascial on my calfs because he said they were sore. It really hurt now I have 20 bruises on the back of my legs. Is this typical? Is there any type of excervise that would be safe for me to do? Cycling? I really do appreciate your help!

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is not normal.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
The bruises on the back of the legs are indicative of internal bleeding. The physiotherapy should be stopped and a complete rest and cold compress is needed to stop any further bruise formation.
You need rest and avoid any exercise involving the calf muscles.
Regards.