Ask a Urologist   »  

Can thickness of the renal cortex be increased?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jul 2016
Jul 2016

Urologist
Question
I have just had an ultrasound and was told that my renal cortex was thin, She told me that it was one that should be expected for a 70 year old (i am 55). Recently I have noticed an increase in my blood pressure especially the lower figure. I have swelling in my feet and I have trouble with holding urine. If there is a problem what can be done about it. Can I increase the cortex widthwith anything?
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can not increase thickness of renal cortex

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for query Based on the facts that you have posted you have landed in Chronic Renal Failure.

Consult qualified Urologist for clinical examination and get following basic tests done to establish diagnosis
1) Urine routine and culture
2) Ultrasound Scanning of abdomen
3)Renal function tests

You need to take anti hypertensive drugs to keep your Blood pressure under control

The further treatment will depend upon the final diagnosis.

Thanks and Regards
Dr Patil