What do tingling sensations and pain in the back indicate?

Question
I have had allergies for the past 4 days. As of yesterday I have had three occurrences in which I get pins and needles running up/down my spine. I also have lower back pain as of this morning. I have never had this happen before and am wondering what is going on.
Tue, 5 Jun 2018 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
peripheral neuropathy, can be temporary, should be assessed

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The abnormal sensations in the spine may not be related to allergies, it is likely related to the back pain.

The nerves that supply the body arise from the spine and the brain. In the spine, they pass through certain areas between the vertebra of the back.

When they leave the spinal cord or brain , they are called peripheral (outside) nerves. Abnormal sensations due to issues with these peripheral nerves is called peripheral neuropathy.
It can be temporary.

Sometimes it can be related to medication or change in appetite (due to change in electrolyte levels or hydration levels).
None of the meds mentioned are known to have this side effect though persons react differently to medication.

Some other causes are--(1) trauma to the nerves as they pass through the spine or outside. Simply staying a particular position too long or applying too much pressure to an area can cause temporary neuropathy
(2)diabetes
(3)low vitamin b12 and folate
(4)abnormal levels of thyroid hormone
(5)abnormal levels of vitamin b6
(6)liver or kidney disease
(7)exposure to toxins
(8)infection such as shingles
(9)neurological conditions such as ms

Though the symptoms are commonly temporary, it would be best to be seen by your doctor for assessment.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions